Just thoughts and updates on our little family!

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A Dream Come True!

This post is a bit of a look back at Benson. Yesterday we had an appointment with his Orthopedic Surgeon to check up on his feet and see how they are doing. I kept telling Daniel that I knew I was dreaming but it would be really nice if Dr Hurdle would just tell us not to use the brace anymore. Well that dream came true. We still have the brace in case his feet start to turn in again but he doesn't have to wear it anymore as long as that doesn't happen.


Here is Bens a mere minutes old. This is one of the best pictures that we took of his foot. We didn't realize at this point what a time consuming condition this would be. You can see his right foot is turned in really badly and his left foot only slightly.


This is Bens just after getting his second pair of casts put on. He wore a totally of 7 casts in his first 7 weeks of life.

Daddy and Nana taking off Bens' second pair of casts... the signatures are from everybody that came to his shower. We took a picture of them before taking the casts off.

June 14, 2007 Bens was put into the brace. We stopped at Great Grandma Innis' on our way home. His perscription was to wear the brace 24 hours a day.

As you can see he had trouble getting used to the brace. This was just 2 or 3 days after starting to wear the brace. He was such a trooper. He still has marks on his heel from this but luckily his feet toughened up!

Here Bens was used to his brace and had found his feet.

He learned how to get around on his brace. He never got really good at walking, or rather shimmying around with them on but he was quick!


This is a picture from the fall but you can see what a happy guy he is and his feet look sooo good!

We are so happy that he has done so well and marvel at the sucess that we had with the whole process. I know of a few people that have just started this process or are only a part of the way there but it is worth all the effort!

I wouldn't have been able to make it through the past two years with out my family. They have been such a support to us. Whether it was driving us to appointments, letting me vent and talk or just the prayers and fasting that were given on our, and mainly Bens' behalf; it was a great help!

So this was my dream come true. It is really amazing that all this took place in only two years. Most children have to wear the brace until they are 4 or 5 years old.

Dr Hurdle made sure that I knew the odds of having another child with club foot, 1 in 700. I appreciate that because even with the ultra sounds that we had done it is possible that it could have been missed. I am really praying that our little girl doesn't have to follow in her brother's footsteps but I do know that we will be able to make it if she does.

Thanks for coming on this little journey through memory lane with me! Hope you have great day!

4 comments:

Joanne said...

this post seriously made me cry! I'm glad the "hard" part is over! COngrats to Benson! and you for being a great mom!

Kathy said...

It is so nice to have it all in pictures here. Do people realize his foot was actually turned up,not just in? It is a modern miracle and I am glad to have been part of it.

Brandon and Bethany said...

I almost peed my pants when I saw the post and the first picture.. I was like like, "she had her baby!". But then I realized, quickly, it was Benson. :-)

Way to go Benson!

Viki said...

Yay!!! I'm so happy for all of you. What a little miracle Benson is!